[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:25:27 -0500

>>Bush's decision to stay in Iraq compared to Hitler's decision to continue to fighting against the Russians ...

Vollmann's _Europe Central_ has a good section on "the sleepwalker's" (the term is perhaps V's homage to Broch) decision.

I read somewhere that the first law Hitler passed when he came to power was an ordinance controlling how restaurants killed lobsters. The brutality of pithing or sudden boiling injured his finer feelings and challenged Der Fuehrer's abiding concern for animals.

This reminds me of Rudolph Guliani's obsession with banning ferrets from Gotham.

Can anyone recall other bizarre hobbyhorses of the powerful?