[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:12:56 -0400

But then, you thought Saddam was responsible for the WTC attacks.  Annie
Myelroie ... Even Bush said Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.  Regarding
empire, we may have the desire, that's not entirely clear, but we don't
have the ability, so there can be no emergent empire.  When England was the
world's empire, it exported capital.  We import capital.  Niall Ferguson,
an America the Empire proponent, thinks the 20th century was not the
American century, as is widely thought, but, in retrospect, will be
considered the Asian century.  He thinks the Japanese invasion of the U.S.
will come to be considered the first time an Asian power flexed its
muscles.  China is coming on board as sole superpower as early as 2030,
less than 25 years away.   Asia lends, America spends ...  Also, back to
Ferguson, when England exported its culture, which presumably we're doing
with exporting democracy, they were in their colonies for many decades,
even centuries, until they were thrown out.  That's what he sees for us in
Iraq, except we're doing it wiith Asian money.  From what I can tell,
Ferguson likes America.  But he is open to looking at reality.  He who has
the gold rules.  And he who has the gold is ... well, China, Japan ...