[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:13:53 -0700

Simon:

You forget that this all stated with Judy quibbling over my reference to
Sayyid Qutb's ideology being the root cause of modern Militant Islam.  What
on earth did I mean by "root cause," etc., etc.  Well, I explained that.
But, said someone who hadn't read Qutb, what about what the West did to the
Middle East in modern times?  Well, said someone who had read Qutb, Qutb
deals with that in some detail.  So this quibble seemed to dwindle into
whether there was something the West had done to the Middle East that Qutb
hadn't covered, but you, who had not read Qutb persevered in asserting that
there was much, much, much that Qutb hadn't covered that the west had done
to the Middle East that had caused the Islamists to behave as they do.

Yawn

And then when I introduce something real, something not the vague
speculation you have hitherto engaged in, something going on right now in
Germany, you sniff, "sorry, but I'm not playing hypotheticals . . ."  Gosh,
Simon, what do you think you have been playing?  Not fact because you
haven't read Qutb and haven't all this time known what you were talking
about.

Lawrence

  _____