[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:05:20 -0700

My mind hasn't changed about any of this as far as I know.  I'm afraid I
haven't your fervid interest in this quibble.  I haven't reread Qutb.  My
opinion about the pervasiveness of Qutb's writings hasn't changed.

As to the moderates, I discussed them most with Omar, as I recall.   I said
that I had almost no evidence of them in the Middle East -- at least not
from nations besides Afghanistan and Iraq.  I challenged him to produce one
Moderate writing from within the Middle East (aside from people living in
Iraq and Afghanistan).  He could not, at least he did not.  So how do we
account for this, I asked him?  Are moderates just timid, afraid to face the
Islamists who are ready to kill them?  Or do these so-called Moderates agree
with the Islamists, and have they perhaps agreed with them all along,
meaning do Moderates really exist?  Of course none of us can know these
things with certainty for no one takes polls and no one speaks freely to
reporters, and no one writes about his thoughts with candor.

As to what the West does having an effect on the Islamists (or moderates who
sympathize with the Islamists), they have always been good at propaganda.
Osama bin Laden pointed to Iraq and bemoaned the sanctions placed on the
poor Iraqis, on the starving children, but he was especially outraged that
the US was in Saudi Arabia (having planes there to over-fly Iraq to keep
Saddam from destroying the Kurds and Shiites).  All of those things were
used by Osama and other Islamists for propaganda purposes.  Some historians
have argued that we need to do nothing more than exist as the most
successful nation to have Islamists hate us.  Would you have us cease to
exist to placate the Islamists?

Lawrence

  _____