[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs. Experience

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 08:05:40 -0700

Robert, apparently Simon wants to go on; so you be the judge

Simon asks if I accept that the "war in Iraq created more fundamentalists
than there were before."   The initial discussion began not with a question
but with an assertion, "Lawrence, my assertion is a simple one. The war in
Iraq has caused moderate muslims to be attracted to fundamentalist ideology.
Because of the war (which, it should be noted, had nothing to do with 9/11),
there are now more fundamentalist muslims than there were before. Because of
the war in Iraq, people died in Madrid and London."

I know of no evidence to support Simon's assertions and beliefs.  I spent
some time with the question of how many Moderate Muslims there were in the
Middle East, with Omar, and we discovered that we couldn't find any evidence
one way or the other; so I ask what evidence Simon had to support his
assertion that there were fewer Moderates and More Fundamentalists in the
world (he didn't want to restrict this matter to the Middle East) and he
responded with

"It's not just the extremists in the middle east that are the problem. It's
also the home grown ones. How do I know there are more extremists. Because
they blew up trains in London and Madrid and because I've heard interviews
with muslims in Britain who cite the Iraq war as a major contributing factor
in the formation of their views. And yes, there are moderate muslims all
over the world. They're the ones trying to explain that the extremists don't
represent Islam, they're the ones saying how they never knew that their
friend was involved. But they're also the same ones pointing at Iraq and
saying how they understand why this is going on."

Note that Simon changed "fundamentalist muslims" to "extremists."  I don't
have a problem with that.  But it is in the above section that he provides
his evidence for his assertion that the number of "Fundamentalist Muslims"
aka "extremists" have increased as a result of the war in Iraq.  Here is his
evidence: Because they blew up trains in London and Madrid and because he's
heard interviews with muslims in Britain who cite the Iraq war as a major
contributing factor in the formation of their views."

I recognized his argument as a fallacy and attempted to explain that to him.
I continue to believe that the term "Anecdotal Argument" is essentially "The
Fallacy of Hasty Generalization," but I won't insist on that.  His Fallacy
is the Fallacy of Hasty Generalization.  He cites two terrorist attacks and
an unknown number of interviews that he has heard as evidence that the
number of extremists has increased.  We need not go into his subsequent
assertion, namely the reason for the increase, to see that he is guilty of
the Fallacy of Hasty Generalization.  His sampling is not sufficient to
justify his conclusion.

To tidy things up let me say that if he could produce a sampling that did
support his assertion that I would accept the conclusion that the war in
Iraq caused an increase in the number of Extremists.  However, he has not
produced such a sampling; so I do not accept his conclusion.

Would you like to lecture one or the other of us now, Robert?

Robert needn't comment (unless he wants to) on what follows:

As to the rest of what Simon has written, I presented my understanding of
Pakistan's situation and he responded with his own understanding.  I noticed
at once that there was a major gap in it.  He neglected to describe the
occasion for our being allies with Pakistan.  He didn't deal with our
needing Pakistan's cooperation prior to and during the invading of
Afghanistan in order to drive out the Taliban and pursue Al Quaeda.  He
asserted that the US was being hypocritical in wanting Pakistan as an ally
while ignoring that Pakistan was an ally against the Taliban and Al Quaeda.
Why the US would be hypocritical for wanting Pakistan's help in opposing the
Taliban and Al Quaeda he doesn't explain.  He just laughs.  Whether laughter
is a fallacy I won't pursue.

Lawrence

  _____