[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:07:52 -0700

On Sep 13, 2006, at 1:12 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

Ursula: As to the fear of theocratic oppression, the Left is certainly opposed to the home-grown (Christian) variety.

Eric: America is far too secularized to be much threatened by the Christian theocrats. They may be annoying, but are hardly serious shapers of the country. USA is much more forged by global monoculture. (Sometimes I miss the old Time Square area...)

I quote from yesterday's news:

<x-tad-bigger>"Baylor researchers found that one-third of Americans are evangelical Protestant, just under one-quarter are mainline Protestant, one-fifth are Roman Catholic and 5 percent are black Protestant. Jews compromise 2.5 percent of the population, while 5 percent of Americans belong to other faiths.

The rest, who are not involved in religious groups, are not fully secular, researchers said. More than 60 percent of the unaffiliated say they believe in God or a higher power, and nearly one-third say they pray at least occasionally. Eleven percent believe Jesus is the son of God."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14782908/</x-tad-bigger>

Does anyone on the list know trustworthy these data might be? My first reaction was that sociologists on a conservative christian campus might be reported what they wanted to find. But that was an ungenerous thought.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon