[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:36:20 -0700

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard all month, Irene.  In your
fervor to blame America for everything, you keep yourself ignorant of the
Islamists actions in Egypt (Qutb, executed in 1966, was the intellectual of
the Muslim Brothers, the prototype Islamist organization).  In Iran in 1980,
Khomeini called for Jihad against Iraq which resulted in the death of
1,000,000).  In Algeria in 1992 the FIS called for a Jihad that ultimately
resulted in the death of 200,000).  And you are overwhelmed by 10,000 who
aren't even dead yet?  Pshaw.  Do you know that ordinary Baathist
insurgents, the ones who ought to be tried with Saddam, aren't Jihadists?
They are ordinary insurgents.  Do you know the difference?

Who in the region of Iraq would care if Iraq became a viable democracy?  Do
you think everyone round about is neutral about that?  Maybe it won't
succeed, but if it does, if Iraq becomes a viable democracy, then all the
nations round about with their anti-democratic tyrannies, will feel
threatened.  Why will they feel threatened, Irene?  Because Iraq will have
moved in the direction of Liberalism.  It will have made a step or two
toward becoming a Liberal Democracy.  The tyrannies will feel that their
days are numbered, and they will be.  That is why the tyrannies like Iran
and Syria are encouraging troops to go across their borders to fight against
democracy in Iraq.  Leftists too hate democracy so they are rooting (like
you are, Irene) for democracy's enemies.

Do you recall what it means to be a Liberal Democracy?  Any Liberal who
understood what it meant to be a Liberal supported Liberal Democracy.
Shoot, I believe in Liberal Democracy so that makes me a Liberal.  What do
you believe in Irene?  You hate Liberal Democracy.  You hate the idea that
Iraq might become a Liberal Democracy.  You support Liberal-Democracy's
enemies.

Iraq might fail to become a democracy, but it will have been a noble effort
to have encouraged the Iraqis who wanted to make the attempt, who thought
they could succeed.  And if it does fail, those who hate freedom, who hate
Liberal Democracy, who hate America, who supported those who undermined the
Iraqi government's efforts, will be able to claim victory. You'll be able to
claim victory then, Irene.  But in the meantime many of us are pulling for
the Iraqi government to succeed.  We are attempting to get Iran and Syria to
quit sending men to undermine the Iraqi-governments efforts.  Of course
there is no hope of shutting up the bleating, anti-American Leftists: one of
the downsides of freedom.

Lawrence

  _____