[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:09:24 -0400

This sentence jumped out at me:  "More, we regard the Great Leap Backwards as a
tragic development in Islam's story, and now in ours."  This does describe the
battle between Creationism and Darwinism in the U.S.; the merger of politics
with religion; the flap over whether to keep God in the pledge of allegiance.
A Great Leap Backwards straight into the New Middle Ages in these here United
States.  And who much cares?

This passage speaks to the utility of our invasion of Iraq:
"By the summer of 2005, suicide-mass murder had evolved. In Iraq, foreign
jihadis, pilgrims of war, were filing across the borders to be strapped up with
explosives and nails and nuts and bolts, often by godless Baathists with
entirely secular aims - to be primed like pieces of ordnance and then sent out
the same day to slaughter their fellow Muslims. Suicide-mass murder, in other
words, had passed through a phase of decadence and was now on the point of
debauchery. In a single month (May), there were more human bombings in Iraq
than during the entire intifada."
And to the loss of our rights in the U.S. and the call for censorship in
universities:  "Islam means 'submission' - the surrender of independence of
mind."

The bottom line in my opinion is that we're fixated on them even as our own
country goes down the tubes, embodied in the very fact that we're fighting some
ridiculous war in Iraq while our ports are untouched by security, etc. etc.
while we lay the groundwork for a police state.