[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:08:05 +0100

"I know that Simon suggested that only Eric and I read Martin Amis' article,
but others might be interested."

My words were "I can confidently say that this will appeal more to
Lawrence and Eric", there was certainly no attempt to make it an exclusive
club.

This is Amis, not a hack and to understand it properly you have to take note of
the context. Read my earlier reply to Eric. In short, you don't have to agree
with the man to understand what he's doing. Additionally, it's important to
realise that his essay was an argument against religion in general. Once past
his narrative prologue, Amis says it straight:

"Today, in the West, there are no good excuses for religious belief - unless we
think that ignorance, reaction and sentimentality are good excuses."

This is straight out of 'the Hitch' and that says it all, but the undercurrent
is that by moving along a religious path, those advocates of superstition in
the west are moving towards the fundamentalists in the east not away from them.
Robert's subsequent message was very much to the point, there's a fine line
between the Westboro Baptists and Islamists.

Typically, however, Lawrence seems to be extracting those morsel that he finds
most paletable.

Simon