[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have a Moral Urgency?

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:07:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Judy Evans wrote:
>
> "incidentally, do Israeli women and Maronite (and
> non-Maronite) Lebanese
> Christian women count as 'women of the region'?  If
> not, is 'women of
> the region' code for 'Arab' or for 'Muslim'?"
>
> Not at all.  In light of the rather silly claim that
> all women and
> children should be considered civilians, I was
> merely pointing out that
> in that region, women have been known to do some
> rather nasty damage.
> The comment had nothing to do with their being Arab,
> Israeli or
> Christian, but rather being women.

*So this was meant to be a sexist comment rather than
a racist one ? Several comments on this:

1} Using women in the military is hardly an Arab
tradition. Have you evidence that Hezbollah is doing
so ?

2) Does your remark pertain to Israeli women as well ?
After all, Israel is the only country in the region
that has compulsory army service for women.

3) If your point was that women can be as violent and
men, why limit the focus to the ME region ?

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com