[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have a Moral Urgency?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:50:48 +0100

On my part, I'd like to draw attention to the lack of context and intent in Eric's analysis. That is, context and intent as it applied to Phil's usage. Linguistiuc analysis is fine in the abstract and it's fine when applied to a piece of writing that might be deemed 'ready for it', but when it removes a phrase from its context and ignores the intent, its close to worthless.

This is not to say that I didn't appreciate the writing, though I have to question the inclusion of Islington. Of all places, Islington....

As for PC, I think I find the reaction against it every bit as extreme as the extent some PC advocates have gone to promote it.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>