[lit-ideas] Re: Car culture

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 23:17:09 -0700

It isn't alas just a question of personal convenience. Think of how
much of the U.S. economy is tied up with the auto industry and highway
construction industries and what the death of the suburbs will do to
the values of homes in which so much of Americans' personal wealth is
tied up.

USA suburbs are extremely sprawled out. i can't imagine how they will exist without cars.

if cars end, tremendous amt of home equity, wealth, etc. will evaporate. strip malls, etc. will die.

jet planes may also end. they pump hydrocarbons into the upper atmosphere. this may be the last decades of global jet travel.

it seems to me that we are in for some very radical changes to everything we
know.

yrs,
andreas