[lit-ideas] Re: Car culture

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 22:46:20 -0700

On Apr 2, 2006, at 10:07 PM, Eric wrote:

The wagons would crash and the horses might be killed. The local butcher would show up and take the horses away to be processed. A tavern built at an unfortunate location was called "The Crash In Bar."

I am too drunk and stoned and generally awash even to remember how to spell Hunter Thompson, but before demons began to line dance in their new clear cowboy hats, in the era when Tom Wolfe's white suits were still bleached beneath the armpits, I think I wrote something for Phil/Lit about a brewery in Salt Lake City that makes "Dead Horse Ale," marketed under the slogan, "you can't beat a dead horse." Memory is not what it was.

David Ritchie, Portland, Oregon