[lit-ideas] Re: Ask the Ayatollah

  • From: "Steve Chilson" <stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 07:13:56 +0100

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:38:02 -0400, "Eric Yost"

Yeah that's the place. Pity the Kiev is closed, killer mushroom and
barley soup.  Cafe de la Pace was about four buildings west of my flat
when I lived there.  It was already a shite trendy squat by the time I
left although I did hear some decent jazz a time or two. (but at least
I'd seen the rise and fall of the Gap on the corner of St Marks and
2nd.) - I wonder what other blasphemies they've placed in its wake...

I never ran into Philip Glass anywhere.  Just as well, I probably
wouldn't have said anything to him if I had, just to keep up the
minimalist riddim.  Or maybe I'd have mouthed some mute dolphin canto.

It strikes me now that I'm thinking about the old neighborhood, do you
ever make it to Detour for jazz?

Something I miss about NYC - being able to describe your location with
almost forensic precision, i.e.  southwest corner of 7th and 1st, etc.
On the other hand, Birmingham has a roundabout called Paradise Circus.
Let's see Buffoonberg top that.

> The church is still there ... on Taras Shevchenko (sp?)
> Place. Right up from McSorley's (of ee cummings' fame) is a
> shop that sells those subdividing Russian eggs. Sadly you
> can't take a middle ground between beer and church anymore:
> the Kiev Restaurant (kept running into Philip Glass there)
> on 7th and Second has closed. That's where I learned about
> putting honey in black coffee, and the Cafe de la Pace on
> the other side of Second, unable to compete with the
> Starbucks, has changed from a good writer's coffee shop to a
> yuppie restaurant. Eheu! fugaces labuntur anni.

  Steve Chilson
  stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html