[lit-ideas] Re: Ask the Ayatollah

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:38:02 -0400

>>There was this great Ukrainian religious edifice almost directly across the street from McSorley's, arguably one of the oldest pubs in NYC.

The church is still there ... on Taras Shevchenko (sp?) Place. Right up from McSorley's (of ee cummings' fame) is a shop that sells those subdividing Russian eggs. Sadly you can't take a middle ground between beer and church anymore: the Kiev Restaurant (kept running into Philip Glass there) on 7th and Second has closed. That's where I learned about putting honey in black coffee, and the Cafe de la Pace on the other side of Second, unable to compete with the Starbucks, has changed from a good writer's coffee shop to a yuppie restaurant. Eheu! fugaces labuntur anni.