[lit-ideas] Re: Ask the Ayatollah

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:27:26 -0400

>>Christians do fast.

Makes me think of the ending of _Thais_ by Anatole France. One of the characters is a self-mortifying monk, a stylite sitting on a pillar for twenty years. After twenty years, God shows up and gives the stylite a good talking to, saying the equivalent of, "What are you doing up here? You've been mean to all the people around you and mean to your own body and where has it brought you? Nowhere. You're no closer to me than you were before. While the people you've dismissed as superficial have grown in their love, you've been up here as an enemy of life."