[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:29:42 -0500

Yes, the difference between theoretical knowledge and visceral knowledge. You might agree with Berkeley and Hume that there is no 'out there,' but you still have to walk around the furniture on your way to the bathroom. And you might agree with Spinoza that there is no free will, but you still have to decide which pizza place to order from when you get hungry. What would/could you do differently if you went 'whole hog' with Russell and Dawkins?
Ursula,

Paul Stone wrote:

On the other hand, I've not gone whole hog and said "of course there's no god" the way a Bertrand Russell or Richard Dawkins might. Deep down in the cockles (as Denis Leary would say) "maybe even in the sub-cockular area" I cannot possibly imagine not existing, so I have to live as though there is a 'me' in some still-aware form after death.