[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:38:11 -0500

Stan Spiegel wrote:

"I am SO glad they bar them thar atheists. Why, they're worse than
pedophiles. How can you trust anyone who doesn't believe in a supreme
being?"

Why do you imagine it is a matter of trust?  I don't know anything about
the Scouts so online I checked out the Canadian branch (?), where I
found the following:

"Our mission: To contribute to the education of young people, through a
value system based on the Scout Promise and Law, to help build a better
world where people are self-fulfilled as individuals and play a
constructive role in society. ... Scouting is based on three broad
principles which represent its fundamental beliefs. These include:
Principles - Duty to God: Defined as, The responsibility to adhere to
spiritual principles, and thus to the religion that expresses them, and
to accept the duties therefrom. (Scouts Canada website)

If the mission statement includes a specific reference to the importance
of the role of 'Duty to God', why shouldn't they decline participation
of those who would reject such a duty?

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON