[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:11:39 -0500

Thanks to some very generous family members who threw some gift certificates my way, after a nice trip to Chapters and with the benefit of a 30% boxing day sale, I've got these books on my "to read" shelf:

A Complicated Kindness -- Miriam Toews
The New Rules -- Bill Maher
Are Men Necessary -- Maureen Dowd
The Death of Feminism -- Phyllis Chesler
Twisted -- Jonathan Kellerman
The Time of Our Singing -- Richard Powers
The Know It All -- A.J. Jacobs
Break, Blow, Burn -- Camille Paglia
How we are Hungry -- Dave Eggers
A Million Little Pieces -- James Frey
A Perfect Night to Go to China -- David Gilmour
The Collapse of Globalism -- John Raulston Saul
The Equation that Couldn't Be Solved -- Mario Livio
Platform -- Michel Houellebecq

See... I could read these 14 books concurrently and not get muddled at all. They are all completely different types. Come to think of it, I think I WILL. I don't know what I'll have to read next month.

One thing that I'm curious about is that for some reason, as the US Dollar keeps plummeting, the prices that were put on the book jackets (eg. U.S. 22.00 Can 33.95) are out of all proportion to the exchange rate. When the US$ was at 1.60, the canadian bookstores put little stickers over the price to reflect this disparity, but now that we're going the other way, they aren't going out of their way to lower the prices. I wonder why this is? Hmmmmm?

almost finished "therapy"
[minor] book report on its way to Judy as agreed,

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada