[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:10:46 -0500

Here's some of the better fiction and literary things I can remember reading in 2005. There's no order or ranking here. It's just a list.

*Smuggler's Bible* by Joseph McElroy
*Best Short Stories 2004* elected by Laurie Moore
*Yellow Dog* by Martin Amis
*The Information* by Martin Amis
*Visiting Mrs Nabokov: And Other Excursions* by Martin Amis
*The Limits of Interpretation* by Umberto Eco
*Pacific and Other Stories* by Mark Helprin
*The Death of the Heart* by Elizabeth Bowen
*The Death of Artemio Cruz* by Carlos Fuentes
*The Test of Time* by William Gass
*Atonement* by Ian McEwan
*The Other Stars* by Rachel Wetzsteon
*A Pale View of Hills* by Kazuo Ishiguro
*Independence Day* by Richard Ford
*The Name of the World* by Denis Johnson
*The Rush for Second Place* by William Gaddis
*Apape, Agape* by William Gaddis
*Lolita* by Vladimir Nabokov (yearly reading)
*Elementary Particles* by Michel Houellebecq
*The Platform* by Michel Houellebecq
*The Literary Guide to the Bible* ed by Alter & Kermode
*Call It Sleep* by Henry Roth
*Immortality* by Milan Kundera
*The History of Luminous Motion* by Scott Bradfield
*The Voyage of the Narwhal* by Andrea Barrett
*Memoirs of an Anti-Semite* by Gregor von Rezzori
*Murphy* by Samuel Beckett
*The Time of Our Singing* by Richard Powers
*Homeland* by Sam Lipsyte
*The Subject Steve* by Sam Lipsyte
*What Was Mine* stories by Anne Beattie
*The Collected Poems of Hart Crane*
*Mefisto* by John Banville
*Wittgenstein* by PMS Hacker
*The Love of a Good Woman* by Alice Munro
*Seven Nights* by Jose Luis Borges
*Forge* by Ted Mathys
*Perspectives by Incongruity* by Kenneth Burke