[lit-ideas] Re: 2006 reading lists

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:46:43 -0600

Not much this year.

McCarthy's Bar, Pete McCarthy -- travel essays; The Clouds in Memphis, C. J. Hribal -- short stories; Blow-Up and Other Stories, Cortazar; The DaVinci Code, Brown; Mystic River, Lehane; Trainspotting, Welsh, American Primitive, Mary Oliver -- poetry; A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You, Amy Bloom -- short stories; Anatomist, Andahazi; The Gnostic Gospels, Elaine Pagels ; Beyond Belief, Elaine Pagels -- both the Pagels' books are studies in early Christianity; Vineland, Pynchon; Tropic of Capricorn, Miller; Lady Chatterly's Lover, Lawrence; Henry and June, Anais Nin -- journal. A large and very varied selection of poetry. Birds of America, Lorrie Moore; Take the Cannoli: Stories From the New World, Sarah Vowel -- humorous political and cultural essays; Wakefield, Andrei Codrescu.

My favorites were Vineland -- I'd been trying to read it for 10 years, finally started over and didn't stop until the last page. I loved it, funny and bizarre and culturally scary. Birds of America -- superb short stories. Anais Nin's Henry and June -- makes you feel like Tiresias. And finally, but certainly not least, Cortazar. He's amazing.

Mike Geary
Memphis