[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: License issue

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 10:21:36 +0200

Hi John

On 05/15/2014 05:00 PM, John Gardner wrote:
I therefore invite anybody who has made a contribution to liblouis or
liblouisutdml since the change to LGPL3 to speak up if they object to having
their contributions distributed under LGPL2.  If anyone does object, we must
then find a way to remove those contributions.  This mailing list reaches
nearly everybody interested in liblouis, and it would therefore be considered a
good faith effort to reach everybody if ever challenged in a court.

I looked at the history of the source code and I noticed that Eitan Isaacson changed the license from GPLv2 to LGPLv3 on March 31st 2008, i.e. 6 years ago (https://github.com/liblouis/liblouis/commit/2723ada19c52737ecfc09bf340ba422569192a17). He also changed the notice at the top of compileTranslationTable.c. The other C files were left at GPLv2. I don't know when they changed.

So we would have to go back 6 years, checking all the contributions, getting all the permissions from the authors, etc. This seems like a lot of work. Just to change from LGPLv3 to LGPLv2.

Could we maybe get the big corp lawyers sit together with the lawyers from the Free Software Foundation (the authors of the LGPL) and have them sort their problems out. From where I sit both licenses look pretty similar. They are still both the LGPL. I need to have a better idea what we really gain from all this work.

For the record I think that (at least from my pov as a developer) LGPLv3 is an improvement over LGPLv2. Amongst others it enhances compatibility with other licenses.

Tag der offenen Tuer: Die SBS laedt Sie herzlich ein: 28. Juni 2014 von 9 bis 16 Uhr. Mehr Informationen erhalten Sie unter http://www.sbs.ch/offenetuer