[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: License issue

  • From: "John Gardner" <john.gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 16:34:45 -0700

Jamie, the corporate lawyers tell me they are happy with LGPL2 - I actually
didn't ask specifically about 2.1 but I will do that for sure.  To my knowledge
there have been no lawsuits challenging either LGPL or GPL so everything is
opinion.  GPL was originally fairly ambiguous itself, enough  that I had
thought GPL would be okay.  But we persuaded the BRLTTY folks to let us switch
to LGPL when corporate lawyers told me that ambiguous was not good enough.  iOS
is not the reason we must revert to version 2 or 2.1.  No major company will
allow liblouis to be used with their software on any platform if we use LGPL3.

I personally would like to see liblouis on iOS. I can not really understand how
anybody could be injured by inability to change it and still use it on iOS.
(And injury must be proven to win any lawsuit.) Is it better not to have it on
iOS or to be denied a toy that seems to be required by the license?  We need to
have a lawyer opinion on our liability.  This is just getting bloody
ridiculous.  If John and I had any idea how much difficulty it would cause us,
we probably would have started liblouis from ground zero instead of using
BRLTTY for some of the original code.

John Gardner