[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: License issue

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 08:29:46 +1000

As I understand it, the LGPL 3 still allows linking with proprietary software. Otherwise, there'd be no difference between the GPL and LGPL 3. Note section 4:

4. Combined Works.
You may convey a Combined Work under terms of your choice that, taken together,
effectively do not restrict modification of the portions of the Library
contained in the Combined Work and reverse engineering for debugging such
modifications...
In other words, you can link with proprietary software, but the user must have the ability to modify the PGL library and run the application with that modified version. This does cause problems for iOS, but this was true for LGPL 2.1 as well:
6. As an exception to the Sections above, you may also combine or link a "work that
uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work containing portions of the
Library, and distribute that work under terms of your choice, provided that the terms
permit modification of the work for the customer's own use and reverse engineering for
debugging such modifications.

The problem for iOS is that a user can't use a modified version of the library; they are bound to use the version provided by the app vendor. Being able to obtain the source is not enough.

Jamie

On 15/05/2014 6:52 AM, John Gardner wrote:
Hello all, in the early life of liblouis we adopted lgpl as our
license.  I do not recall any discussion of versions of that license.
there were 2 at the time, and I believe we just adopted #2 because it
was the most recent.

In the meantime, LGPL#3 has come out and it is now listed somewhere as
the official license for liblouis.  I certainly do not recall any
discussion of making that change.  Perhaps others on the list can jog my
failing memory.

In any case, I have been advised by people who keep better track of
license terms than I that LGPL#3 is completely unacceptable to companies
and agencies who need to use liblouis with anything that is not open
source.  They tell me that LGPL#3, as opposed to LGPL#2 and 2.1, no
longer permits an LGPL-licensed library to be used with software that is
not open.

I have just read over the two licenses.  The preamble to LGPL#2 contains
the very clear statement: “We use this license for certain libraries in
order to permit linking those libraries into non-free programs.”

There is absolutely nothing clear to me in LGPL#3.  I have read over
that license and frankly I do not understand one word.  I encourage any
of you to try and figure it out.  Go to
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html

You can find the LGPL#2 at
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html  This is hardly
a paragon of clarity but at least I can figure it out.

Since the big company lawyers are concerned about #3 and not about #2,
and since our purpose is to use LGPL for the following reason stated in
the preamble to LGPL#2 “the Lesser license provides advantages in
certain special circumstances. For example, on rare occasions, there may
be a special need to encourage the widest possible use of a certain
library, so that it becomes a de-facto standard. To achieve this,
non-free programs must be allowed to use the library.”

So LGPL#3 has now been hi-jacked away from that purpose of the LGPL#2,
and we cannot use it.  Therefore I request that all references to
liblouis license state that we are using LGPL2.

While on the topic of licenses, I also would like for us to clarify the
position we take for Apple and other systems that do not have any
mechanism for permitting users to get the source code – as required by
LGPL.  In such cases, we should simply put in instructions as to how
that source code can be obtained. Whether this technically meets LGPL
requirements is perhaps not clear, but it does certainly meet the need.
And it permits liblouis to be used in those closed systems.

John Gardner

there are terms in that license that are unacceptable to many commercial
users.  I have been blissfully unaware, but I have been approached by a
major company who wants to use liblouis but is unwilling if we are using
LGPL#3.

John Gardner

President

541.754.4002 x 200

www.viewplus.com <http://www.viewplus.com/>

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This message and any files transmitted with
it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution
is strictly prohibited; please notify the sender and delete the message.
ViewPlus Technologies, Inc. accepts no liability for damage of any kind
resulting from this email.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Download the Voiceye or Phonemarking App from Google Play
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.voiceye.reader> or
from the App Store for IPhone
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voiceye/id496389982?mt=8>

on your mobile device to scan the  code below and add my contact details
to your mobile device.

9407576B-AC6D-4A15-B188-2A61F1107A7D

If you would like more information on Voiceye, please contact ViewPlus
sales by clicking here <http://www.viewplus.com/contacts/contact-sales/>

--
James Teh
Executive Director, NV Access Limited