[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: License issue

  • From: "John Gardner" <john.gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 08:00:30 -0700

Christian, you ask:
So could we try to convince these big corporate lawyers that LGPL3 isn't all
that bad?
John G: No we cannot unless you have a few million dollars to file a test
lawsuit.  So it is just counter-productive to argue whether LGPL3 is or is not
okay.  Unless of course the person doing the arguing is willing to file that
lawsuite.

And you continue:
> If the big corporations will not use liblouis even though some of us think it
> is okay with LGPL3, we are making life difficult for blind people who use
> their software.
But what else are these big corporations going to use instead?
John G: Not use braille.

Sorry, but this LGPL mess has fully subverted the purpose of this consortium.
John Boyer and I started it with the stated purpose of making good braille
available to everybody.  We either find a way to revert to LGPL2 or we will
just have to start a new project under a more acceptable license.  Those are
the only two alternatives

I therefore invite anybody who has made a contribution to liblouis or
liblouisutdml since the change to LGPL3 to speak up if they object to having
their contributions distributed under LGPL2.  If anyone does object, we must
then find a way to remove those contributions.  This mailing list reaches
nearly everybody interested in liblouis, and it would therefore be considered a
good faith effort to reach everybody if ever challenged in a court.

John Gardner