[kismac] Re: 1.0

  • From: Andrew Koch <ppc603ev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>, kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:23:10 -0400

>       I understand that MacStumbler already supports them.  I haven't
>had a chance to confirm this or not, as I have not disassembled my
>PowerBook G4 so that I could disable my built-in Airport card.

Yes, MacStumbler works with the Broadcom/Apple card on my machine
(12" PBG4, OS X.2.6) However, because it does a "probe" request, it
can be detected.  Also, it's not actually actively scanning, like
Kismac does.  It's just sending probe requests and logging what comes
back to it.  You can be connected to a network and scan with
MacStumbler.

I've run MacStumbler along side my friend running Kismac on his
iBook, and I show up as "Probe" and that's annoying.

Also, MacStumbler is severely lacking in features, like data packet
capturing, GPS support, WEP cracking tools (the list goes on and on)

I really wish there was some way for me to get Mick the information
he needed to write a Broadcom driver for Kismac.

--
Andrew Koch
Website: http://www.lildobe.net

Maintain thy airspeed lest the earth