[kismac] Re: 1.0

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:19:58 +0200

> You're right. I just tried MacStumbler again and it does work with the
> AirportExtreme. I guess I wasn't patient enough the first time I tried
> it.

macstumbler uses the internal apple api. it can use any card apple
provides a driver for. however the framework is not very powerful,
there is no way to extend macstumbler in any way. kismac uses its own
drivers because of that. and i cannot write one for broadcom cards,
since there is no documentation. and reverse engineering is not a real
option

> This was running Kismac on my Intersil card. It is really interesting
> to see all the networks that the Intersil sees  (I logged over 120 this
> morning, about 30 minutes of wardriving... on a bus) and see how few
> actually register with the Airport Extreme card. Most of the time I
> would get "No networks in range" on the airport menu even when the
> Intersil was reading several.

this is normal. the airport driver is actually communicating with ap
before showing something. this is harder than showing anything you can
get =).

the good news is that i plan to write a driver for atheros cards in the
next month or so....

mick