[kismac] Re: 1.0

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew Koch <ppc603ev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:31:56 +0200

At 10:23 PM -0400 2003/09/25, Andrew Koch wrote:

>>      I understand that MacStumbler already supports them.  I haven't
>>had a chance to confirm this or not, as I have not disassembled my
>>PowerBook G4 so that I could disable my built-in Airport card.

        I had to reboot my PowerBook G4 this morning, so I had a chance
to test using the Linksys 54G card again.  Turns out that it does
work from boot, and it is recognized as an "Airport Card".  However,
none of the 802.11g features appear to be enabled -- perhaps this is
because I do not yet have my Airport Extreme base stations turned on?

>  Yes, MacStumbler works with the Broadcom/Apple card on my machine
>  (12" PBG4, OS X.2.6).

        It works with my Linksys 54G card as well.  As does iStumbler,
although strangely it appears that iStumbler initially was using the
Linksys card and then later switched over to the internal Airport
card, because there was a strange pause, then one of my "Snow" base
stations disappeared from the list (it's in bridging mode and does
not hand out IP addresses), and the lights on the card stopped
flickering although iStumbler was still receiving packets, etc....

        I tried KisMac as well (with the Viha driver) and it does seem to
function, but not the way I had hoped.  It somehow disables the
Linksys 54G card and enables the built-in Airport card, and then from
that point it works as normal.  Quitting KisMac then re-enables the
Linksys 54G card.

>                         However, because it does a "probe" request,
>  it can be detected.  Also, it's not actually actively scanning,
>  like Kismac does.  It's just sending probe requests and logging
>  what comes back to it.  You can be connected to a network and scan
>  with MacStumbler.

>  Also, MacStumbler is severely lacking in features, like data packet
>  capturing, GPS support, WEP cracking tools (the list goes on and on)

        Oh, of course.  I was just mentioning that it seemed to work with
the Airport Extreme cards, whereas KisMac didn't.  I wasn't talking
about feature parity or anything.  ;)

>  I really wish there was some way for me to get Mick the information
>  he needed to write a Broadcom driver for Kismac.

        Indeed.  ;(

Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>