[jhb] Re: Which Speed?

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:26:30 +0100

'Cos I'd just read an article on V numbers that said VR is typically the indicated speed, about 3 seconds before the aircraft breaks contact with the ground. I've tried a Vr derived via that route with the A350 and it produces good response.

Again, by contrast, rotating at the Vr that designers quote for their GA aircraft often sees them leave the ground about 15 to 20 knots beyond that value. This despite applying trim up.

Gerry Winskill

bones wrote:

I've lost you there.

If you got consistent results then why not use the speed you noted at the
time the aircraft started to rotate as the VR value?