[jhb] Re: Which Speed?

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:22:10 +0100

I checked the Stall, all down, by holding 5000' with the autopilot and keeping my eyes glued to the didgital rate of ascent / descent figures, on the Misc page of my Checks gauge, whilst reducing speed in 2 kias increments. The angle of attack was, indeed, high. I decided it had stalled when an increasing rate of descent commenced. I used the Map feature to note the speed at which the onset of stall, or mush to be more realistic, commenced.

I agree the difference between the figure for MLW and my lowest weight is smaller than I'd expected. By contrast, when measuring the speed at which a positive rate of ascent is detected, in takeoff configuration, the difference between high and low wt is 50 kts.

Gerry Winskill

bones wrote:

Determining stall speeds for real aircraft is extremely complex and doing
the same for FS aircraft is worse - not helped by the fact that stall
emulation in FS is pretty awful.

You can forget the aircraft.cfg value - it has no relevance to actual
aircraft performance. The only way to measure stall is by test flights to
record the values. The downside is that at high angles of attack you get
pitot/static errors that make IAS highly inaccurate so the first task is to
create a graph to show the IAS/CAS relationship. The CAS is then converted
to TAS by calculation of Density Altitude (easier in FS because we can alter
atmospheric values). Finally the figures are reduced to sea level, standard
ISA conditions as this is the universal yardstick for aircraft performance
tables.

The stall range you quote from 80 to 99 kts is lower than I would have
expected. Even a Cherokee has significant stall speed variation from full to
empty weight - roughly 1kt per 100lb. At MAUW of 2550lb the stall is 55kts
(PA28-181) and at 1765lb (pilot and minimal fuel) the stall is down to
45.8kts.