[jhb] Re: Which Speed?

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:00:21 +0100

Yep - you are pushing FS beyond its limitations here.

Forget real aircraft values for this exercise. The issue is with the
aircraft performance file and if the designer hasn't got this locked down to
the performance of the real aircraft then you aren't testing an A350 or DC10
but a mythical design - for which a full flight test program needs carrying
out to find it's boundaries.

Any aircraft will lift off at stall speed - because this is the minimum
speed for flying and you are accelerating past this on take off. FS models
the low speed performance awfully so accept that designers can't get this
right all the time and that variation exists. Another thing is that you say
there are discrepancies between some models and the real aircraft but where
did you get real aircraft values from? The stall speed varies with a huge
number of factors - weight, ISA, flap setting are the obvious ones - but it
varies between aircraft fleets too as the aircraft specification may change.
A Boeing 737-8AS or Ryanair will have different figures for a Boeing 737-8K7
of Austrian Airlines. That is why performance manuals are written for
specific aircraft - even the two PA31 aircraft I used to fly had different
figures.

The best you can do in FS is to hand fly each aircraft and determine your
own values - forget any book figures quoted from real manuals.