[jhb] Re: Which Speed?

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:09:32 +0100

There isn't much in the aircraft.cfg file that relates directly to the
flight model. All the hard work is in the design and the .air file - the
flight envelope, the Coefficients for lift and drag on wings, tailplanes and
fuselage, airfoil performance, control effectiveness etc etc. If you alter
any of these values when designing an aircraft then you have to test the
result through a full speed and altitude envelop to measure the resultant
changes. It's slow and boring and needs endless patience as FS has to be
rebooted each time.

It needs a fair degree of experience to observe the changes made. Ideally it
should be someone with flying experience of the actual aircraft and who
knows what it flies like. For many designers the target is to get the
aircraft to climb and cruise at reasonably accurate speeds (no mean feat)
but slow speed handling may be flawed. If fiddling with this regime results
in climb/cruise wandering off target the temptation is to leave well alone.

The problem with FS is that it is all experiment. If you are lucky enough to
have all the real world values you could possibly need and bang these into
the air file it results in an aircraft that flies nothing like the original
- and so you have to start tinkering with figures to adjust them to the
limited FS flight model. In some ways it would be better to start with a
clean sheet.

Once you have high and low speed control responses sorted out you then look
at engine performance. This can mask basic design flaws - is cruise speed
wrong because of too much/little aircraft drag or because engine power is
incorrect? Does engine application create excessive pitch/yaw moments? Next
is the much harder flight envelope testing as here you need to play with
lift and drag, damping, mass, divergent and convergent effects (dynamic
instability), trim ranges ad infinitum.. Each change needs testing and
sometimes there is a side effect that is not spotted until a lot later - and
so you go back and start again.

Some guys are really switched on and design superb performance files. Others
may just get an FS default aircraft and make minimum tweaks to get the
cruise speed range about right - or not tweak them at all. In the end it
comes down to flying each aircraft and working out your own figures.

I recall one designer who made a lot of FS98 aircraft. They were beautiful
designs and painted extremely well - but they flew dreadfully. If you kicked
in rudder the aircraft would yaw but it would continue flying in the
original direction for a good while. The aircraft mass was too great so he
had just increased rudder effectiveness to compensate. It worked in that it
made the aircraft yaw but the flight path only slowly adjusted to the new
heading. The odd thing was that people raved about the aircraft and couldn't
see anything wrong with them - but a simple ILS intercept at 8nm at 40
degrees would have revealed the flaw.