[jhb] Re: Which Speed?

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:40:40 +0100

All this technical discussion about the limitations of MS FS in modelling the handling of aircraft, apart from making my brain hurt, prompts me to put in a brief word for X-Plane. Its applied blade element theory models much more accurately the aerodynamics and consequently the handling, stall characteristics, etc - it actually calculates the lift, drag, etc from the component surfaces. AFAIK, FS uses a much more basic and rudimentary system of lookup tables.

I don't do much flying in X-Plane these days, but I have experienced e.g. ridge turbulence and stalls with it which I have never encountered in FS9 and earlier (can't speak for FSX).

Mike L