[jhb] Re: Which Speed?

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:14:43 +0100

V1 and V2 are computed for runway length and density altitude conditions. As
they are go/no-go speeds they are, essentially computed from runway distance
remaining. Assuming normal acceleration an aircraft should use x feet of
runway to reach a position from which it cannot stop again. Pilots can't
measure runway used so this is converted into a speed value. Of course a
quick look at this system can see awful flaws in it but it is the best we
can use.