[jhb] Re: Pilot Hours

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:06:37 -0000

I don't think Shell are that generous.

You can pay for aviation fuel in two ways with Shell. You either pay them as
you fill up or you can get a Shell carnet which you hand over to the
refueller and he swipes it through his machine. To get a carnet you have to
buy the fuel up front which means predicting how much fuel you think you
will use in the next six months or a year. There is absolutely no credit
given in the fuel industry at all.

In the old days we could always tell which airlines were in trouble because
a carnet means paying a huge amount of money in advance. Those in rocky
waters would not renew a carnet and pay cash on delivery - which meant
pilots had to carry a huge amount of cash with them.

I'm not sure what system they use nowadays but some canny airlines buy a
huge amount of fuel when prices are low and built up reserves to see them
through troubles times. If they get it wrong and run out of reserves you
sometimes see ticket prices jump up to cover the higher prices they have to
start paying..