[jaws-uk] Re: Legacy Support

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:06:15 -0000

Carlos,

        Unfortunately, there is nothing you personally can do except contact
the people who own the web site and explain that their site is not
accessible. Before you do this, you should get someone to check out the =
site
and get a handle on where the problems lie, they may not be entirely
JavaScript related.

        If you post the web address to the list, I'd be happy to take a
look. It may be something that can be overcome quite easily. If there =
does
turn out to be a problem however...

        Once you have an idea what the problem is, try a friendly email to
the web site owners. Explain why it's difficult to use the site, offer =
them
some guidance on what the problem is and advise they consider fixing it.

        If they're UK based, then explain that they may be leaving
themselves open to legal action, as the Disability Discrimination Act
requires service providers to take reasonable steps to ensure their =
services
are accessible to people with disabilities. A web site was classed as a
service in a 2001 statutory code of practice from the Disability Rights
Commission.

        Usually the best approach is to stay polite and helpful, getting
people on side is almost always going to get a better result.

Regards,
L=E9onie.=20