[jaws-uk] Re: Legacy Support

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 19:11:08 -0000

Pete,

        After a quick look, the problem appears to be the JavaScript used on
the page. Jaws now reacts to JavaScript very accurately, interpreting =
the
code as the web designer intended.

        Unfortunately, in this case the web designer has used a popup script
which is, I presume, intended to hide or display content based on some
action, possibly the selection of a link. I copied the code from the =
page
and removed the JavaScript from above the navigation and it then works
equally well in Jaws 7.0 and 8.0.

        To answer your question, Freedom Scientific shouldn't have to do
anything to make web sites more accessible. For the most part that is up =
the person who developed the web site. I'd suggest contacting them and
letting them know about accessible web site design.

        I can't comment on whether Sight and Sound would give you your money
back, but as I say, the problem effectively lies with the web site, not
Jaws. Jaws is just interpreting the code of the web site properly, where =
as
it used not to do so.

Regards,
L=E9onie.=20