[PCB_FORUM] Re: Don't shut this list down !

  • From: <george.h.patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:22:02 -0800

Hey, Richard:

You remember when a Cadence AE posted something here a few years back
and got in trouble for it from his supervisor?  It was pre freelists, so
I doubt there is a record of it anywhere.  His supervisor accidentally
hit ReplyAll and let us ALL know Cadence's policy on this forum (to
paraphrase, "If they can get the answer on SourceLink, you shouldn't be
giving it away for free").  Dried up contributions from Cadence
employees radically, even though they were still lurking in the
background.

<SOAPBOX>
Now, admittedly, I tend to be the forum curmudgeon and am suspicious of
ANY corporate support of ANYTHING.  But with a track record like Cadence
has had here in the past, I find it hard to believe we are going to get
a lot more support from Cadence on the new forum in the long term.

I believe Mike and the former leaders of the former ICU have the best of
intentions but are being "led down the garden path" by a company that
has historically had little interest or understanding of anything but IC
tools.  The PCB employees try their best but are generally hamstrung by
a lack of funds and a lack of interest from the executive staff.  The
support may be there now, but when things start getting tight again and
Cadence is looking for ways to save money, my bet is that all this will
be the first to go.  And the independent users group will not be there
to pick up the pieces.

It is a done deal and (as long as the email situation is taken care of)
I will probably continue to be on the new forum, and causing trouble as
usual.  But I believe that a few years down the road, we are all going
to be saying "Why did we let this happen."  I hope I am proven wrong,
but it is against my nature to be optimistic when it comes to human
nature <:^)
</SOAPBOX>

--
George Patrick