[haiku] Re: Request: Graphic for R1A2 CD

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 00:17:18 -0700

Howdy,

Matt Madia wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 22:06, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PulkoMandy wrote:
Well, development milestones are made to try things out, that may include
the CD artwork. It will be nice to have one that we can use for stable
releases and have them share the same look (eventually changing things like
the background color in order to not mix them up).
So, better change the design now than when we sell millions of CDs :)

I agree, plus with everything else in the project there is no
guarantee that what is used today will remain the same 1 year from
now.

You can't apply the same criteria to every aspect of the project; what works with one discipline (say development) does not necessarily work with another (for example marketing), or vice versa.

This is not code we are talking about, it's the long process of getting into the heads of your target audience and making a positive and lasting impression. It takes a long time to build brand equity; frequent changes to your visual identity simply does not help you in that respect. It's just a fact of life.

So, if someone else comes up with a different approach that everybody likes
and does the work to make it happen, that's all well with me. Moreover, if
the project decides that being playful is more important than building a
brand (point well taken Niels), and would thus prefer to encourage different
designs for every milestone/release/item, that's fine too. Just don't expect
that to come from me, though. :)

To note, assuming our CafePress is upgraded to a premium shop, which
is a discussion that I've pushed onto the BOD earlier this week, we'd
be able to have multiple items in the shop. This'd allow us to sell R1
Alpha 2 with different printed labels -- not saying that this will or
will not occur, just that it's a possibility.

Frankly, I only expect people who know what Haiku is to be purchasing
the CD. So at this time having "the brand" on a CD may not be as
important, as lets say the flyer or website where people who are less
familiar with the project are exposed to it. And, if having two or
more differently labeled cd's helps to improve sales, then I'm
definitely interested -- more sales, more money, hopefully another
development contract, a quicker release cycle.

I would like to see more funding, more developers being hired, and a quicker release cycle as much as you and everybody else here. But to think that a selection of colors will get you more CD sales is simply naive.

In fact, the current profitability of the CDs on CafePress is not sustainable; at $20 a piece, it is simply way overpriced (this coming from the person who set the price).

The only reason the R1A1 CD sold so well even at that high of a price was because it was positioned as commemorative merchandise, more along the lines of a collectible, and it was bought mainly by a small circle of people to whom Haiku is special.

Let's not forget that there is another very important role of the CD besides generating revenue, and that is reaching out to potentially new users beyond the small circle; think handout CDs at conferences, something that we currently cannot do now because CafePress cost is so prohibitively high. For that, Haiku will have to move to the next stage in CD distribution that will require high-volume, low-cost production.

Cheers,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net