[haiku] Re: Mouse "Click to focus" mode: what is it for?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 02:08:54 +0100

Hi,

On 2010-03-19 at 01:42:04 [+0100], Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki
> <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I never paid much attention before (basically because I always used the
> > default settings), but now that I am translating the Mouse preflet, I
> > noticed that there are three focus modes, one of which -- specifically,
> > the Click to focus mode -- I am a bit confused about.
> >
> > If I am not mistaken (please, correct me if I am wrong), clicking on a
> > background window in this mode gives the window focus, it but does not
> > bring it to the frontfront.
> >
> > Maybe I am missing something, but I fail to see how this can be useful.
> > Can anyone explain what the use cases are for this mode and/or for what
> > situations it can be useful?
>
> I too fail to see how clicking to assign focus without bringing the
> window to the front is terribly useful.
>
> I would use FFM (focus follows mouse), which is a much more common and
> reasonable option, before I would use that feature.
>
> But, how come this option isn't mentioned here:
> http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/preferences/mouse.html
>
> I see it mentions 3 FFM modes, but I don't see a "click to focus" mode
> where it claims to not bring the window to the front. Sorry that I
> don't have Haiku in front of me to check :) And once set, how does one
> actually bring a window to the front?

This part of the user guide was already written when Brecht added this
mode, or rather when it was committed to trunk. I believe this happened
last BeGeistert.

The point of the mode is to separate window focus from automatically
bringing windows to the front. Bringing windows to the front or sending
them to the back is explicit in this mode. You have to left-click the tab
to bring it to the front, and right-click the tab to send it to the back. A
window is considered in "front" when there are no windows overlapping with
it and covering it anywhere, which is to say the actual app_server window
ordering is ignored in favor of the visual facts. As you can see from the
this mode is silly, please just ignore it.

Best regards,
-Stephan