[haiku] Re: Mouse "Click to focus" mode: what is it for?

  • From: Michael Zucchi <notzed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:19:19 +1030

Jorge,

Always bringinging the window to the front when you click on it
reduces one of the main benefits of gui windows - the ability to see
multiple views at once, and for you to arrange them in the most useful
way possible.  The outcome is basically with this 'click raises
window' mode using windows as windows is actually very difficult, and
you're forced to simply run every application in full-screen mode.

Without it, it is possible to get more effective screen real-estate by
arranging overlapping windows so you can see the important bits -
having them raise as soon as you click on them messes this arrangement
up and makes the effort futile.  e.g. you can easily have
documentation or a shell open in a small window overlapping the
right-hand side of your editor where you usually don't have code.

I wonder if apple/ms historically did it this way so they could focus
the os on the forefront application to make them look more responsive
and/or a way to hide their inefficient task switching (non-unix macos
was always atrocious, and windows was too) --  whilst lying and saying
it was all about not confusing their [thick-o, by implication] users.
How ironic that 'Windows(tm)' forces you not to use windows - by
design.

Anyone who has used (or particularly started) on almost any other
windowing operating system (yes, they existed) than those two would
have almost  religious feelings about this.  With good reason - it's
not 'silly' at all!

 Michael