[haiku] Re: Mouse "Click to focus" mode: what is it for?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:42:04 -0700

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I never paid much attention before (basically because I always used the
> default settings), but now that I am translating the Mouse preflet, I noticed
> that there are three focus modes, one of which -- specifically, the Click to
> focus mode -- I am a bit confused about.
>
> If I am not mistaken (please, correct me if I am wrong), clicking on a
> background window in this mode gives the window focus, it but does not bring
> it to the frontfront.
>
> Maybe I am missing something, but I fail to see how this can be useful. Can
> anyone explain what the use cases are for this mode and/or for what
> situations it can be useful?

I too fail to see how clicking to assign focus without bringing the
window to the front is terribly useful.

I would use FFM (focus follows mouse), which is a much more common and
reasonable option, before I would use that feature.

But, how come this option isn't mentioned here:
http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/preferences/mouse.html

I see it mentions 3 FFM modes, but I don't see a "click to focus" mode
where it claims to not bring the window to the front. Sorry that I
don't have Haiku in front of me to check :) And once set, how does one
actually bring a window to the front?

- Urias