[haiku] Re: Mouse "Click to focus" mode: what is it for?

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:47:06 -0700

Howdy,

@Michael

Let me try to explain what I meant, because I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. When I look at the original Mouse preflet...

http://haikuzone.net/files/temp/2010-03-19_haiku-original-mouse-preflet.png

...all configurations are very obvious at first glance.

In contrast, when I look at the new Mouse preflet...

http://haikuzone.net/files/temp/2010-03-19_haiku-new-mouse-preflet.png

...I find the "Focus mode" options to be very obscure. The difference between "Click to focus" and "Click to activate" is not obvious at all, and this makes it very difficult for a user to make an intelligent choice.

IMO, this difference does add complexity to the user experience; perhaps it's not the feature itself, but the way it is exposed to the user (which in the end is what matters anyway).

And like Simon mentioned, I also think that this change goes contrary to the philosophy of "best defaults, not maximum configurability" minimalism that is at the heart of the Haiku user experience.

@Stippi

I am sorry, but I was not aware of previous discussions about this topic (for those interested, links to a few related threads from the [haiku-development] mailing are listed at the bottom of this message).

@All

Personally, I could not care less whether this option is there or not. However, I can see how this can potentially confuse many users. If changing the way this feature is exposed to the user is not viable (for whatever reason), please consider at least changing the language in these options, so that at least the user gets a better clue of what they do. Perhaps something along the lines of:

Focus mode:
- Click to focus & raise
- Click to focus only (Amiga mode)
- Focus follows mouse

Hope this helps. And if it doesn't, that's OK too; at least now I know how I want to translate the Mouse preflet to Japanese. :)

Cheers,

Jorge / aka Koki

RELATED LINKS

[haiku-development] third mouse mode & mouse preflet
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/third-mouse-mode-mouse-preflet

[haiku-development] Focus Follows Mouse
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Focus-Follows-Mouse

[haiku-development] click-through and AmigaOS mouse mode (patch)
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/clickthrough-and-AmigaOS-mouse-mode-patch,1