[haiku] Re: Mouse "Click to focus" mode: what is it for?

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:35:14 +0000

> Sorry, but I find this totally silly. Because you want to prevent feature
> creep, you suggest to remove a single option which implements a uniform
> behavior. To address the need covered by this option, you then suggest to
> implement two other options, accessible via hidden features *and* in
> Deskbar, where it is much more prominently (clutter!) placed then in the
> Mouse prefs.

I think the concept of pinning individual windows is more flexible and
better solves the problems some people were citing as the reason for the
existence of the difference. My suggestions of how that could be
presented to the user were merely ideas, and not a fully formed
strategy. I'd argue that right-click to send to back is a "hidden
feature" already but as it's a fairly advanced thing to want to do, I
find that OK.

> Let's not forget that nobody cared about this single option until Koki
> wondered what it was when translating the preflet.

That's not necessarily true. I also wondered what it did when I updated
Haiku and found it had changed. The distinction between focus and
activate I found somewhat confusing too, but that could be solved with a
 terminology change and documentation.

> I really believe this
> thing is getting way too much attention. Of course I agree that new
> features should be discussed. This one has received a fair amount of
> disussion, too, before it was commited to trunk, it's just been a while ago.

I apologise for missing the original discussion and for continuing
another one of these possible bike shed topics. I recognise that as
someone who hasn't actually given much to the Haiku project, I won't
have much say in the direction of the project. I'd also like to
apologise for the unintended offense I obviously caused those who have
given their time and skill to discussing and implementing things the way
they are now.

Simon