[haiku] Re: Mouse "Click to focus" mode: what is it for?

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:27:26 +0100

Simon Taylor wrote:

> I wonder if it could be combined into a list of selection boxes, to contain
> the "accept first click" option too:
>
> "First Click Inside an Inactive Window:
> x Gives Input Focus
> x Brings Window to Front
> x Affects Window Contents
> "
>
> I don't like the names I've proposed much, and it's arguable whether anyone
> would want to turn off the "focus" option. Also it doesn't give a neat place
> to put the FFM option, so maybe scratch that plan.

I had this thought too, but didn't pursue it further. The idea is to decompose
the mouse behavior into orthogonal on/off options. Remove the option to not
give windows focus, add FFM, and you get something like:

[x] Click raises window
[x] Accept first click
[x] Focus follows mouse

The first two of these are truly independent of each other. When FFM is active,
however, "Accept first click" does not have any effect (it dims in the current
preflet), while "Click raises window" will be kind of strange, or at least be a
mode I have not seen before - it only really means that keyboard focus follows
the mouse because the same mouse behavior is achievable without FFM.

The current preflet is fine IMO, as long as "Click to activate" is re-labelled
"Click to focus & raise" as suggested by Jorge. I suggest not mentioning other
systems by name, "Click to focus only" should be clear enough.

I'd like to mention that since all three mode names then contain the word
"focus", the "Focus mode:" label is not really necessary, and could be removed.

Also, I notice that the window will resize when switching to a mode with a
longer name. Wouldn't it be better if the pulldown was realized with the size
necessary to display the widest one?

-Truls