[haiku] Re: Mouse "Click to focus" mode: what is it for?

Hi Simon,

I think I've come across much too harsh. Apologies for that.

On 2010-03-19 at 12:35:14 [+0100], Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Sorry, but I find this totally silly. Because you want to prevent feature
> > creep, you suggest to remove a single option which implements a uniform
> > behavior. To address the need covered by this option, you then suggest to
> > implement two other options, accessible via hidden features *and* in
> > Deskbar, where it is much more prominently (clutter!) placed then in the
> > Mouse prefs.
>
> I think the concept of pinning individual windows is more flexible and
> better solves the problems some people were citing as the reason for the
> existence of the difference. My suggestions of how that could be
> presented to the user were merely ideas, and not a fully formed
> strategy. I'd argue that right-click to send to back is a "hidden
> feature" already but as it's a fairly advanced thing to want to do, I
> find that OK.

Ok, I've pictured you're suggestions as an awkward attempt to still
accomodate the need, while you really only tried to present an alternative
way. IMHO, the existing solution is simply an alternative way of window
management, that some people are used to and which IMHO offers a consistent
behavior without being complicated. To me the idea to add more options to
another consistent behavior seems like the more confusing/cluttered solution.

> > Let's not forget that nobody cared about this single option until Koki
> > wondered what it was when translating the preflet.
>
> That's not necessarily true. I also wondered what it did when I updated
> Haiku and found it had changed. The distinction between focus and
> activate I found somewhat confusing too, but that could be solved with a
>  terminology change and documentation.

Agreed.

> > I really believe this
> > thing is getting way too much attention. Of course I agree that new
> > features should be discussed. This one has received a fair amount of
> > disussion, too, before it was commited to trunk, it's just been a while
> > ago.
>
> I apologise for missing the original discussion and for continuing
> another one of these possible bike shed topics. I recognise that as
> someone who hasn't actually given much to the Haiku project, I won't
> have much say in the direction of the project. I'd also like to
> apologise for the unintended offense I obviously caused those who have
> given their time and skill to discussing and implementing things the way
> they are now.

Again, apologies for coming across too harsh.

Best regards,
-Stephan