[haiku] Re: Haiku installation

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:05:56 +0200

Bruno Albuquerque schrieb:
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:44:08 -0400, Ryan Leavengood said:

Yes. The spatial desktop concept (which Tracker was based around)
requires that no 2 windows represent the same folder. The desktop is
always open as, well, your desktop. :)
Except that right now it is possible to open two windows for the same
folder in different workspaces. While I assume that is by design, I
think it breaks the spatial concept a bit.

I just tried it and you are right. I don't remember this being possible in BeOS and I have no idea why would someone implement this. So right now we have a broken spatial desktop and a brolen non-spatial desktop. Nice compromise. :(

Really, I am a *HUGE* fan of spatial desktops and this is one of the big reasons for me to be a BeOS fan since I first saw it. I do understand that people may not like it and I am fine with that but the solutions being presented are, from my point of view, just canibalizing Tracker and turning it into a even bigger mess than it already is. This looks like buying a car and deciding that we wanted a boat instead so now we are adding all these appendages to it but instead of hving a boat we still have a car that looks like a boat and that, when sent to water, has billions of roles eberywhere. Then we are using bubble-gum to fix those.
Of course I'm not sure what the best solution would be to avoid that?

I think avoiding that is the correct thing to do. Or we can buy more bubble-gum.

Moving the window for that folder to the current workspace and
removing it from the other? Or changing the workspace to where the
folder is already open?

I think bringing the folder to the current desktop if you try to open it again is a sensible choice.

Or just leaving it as it is I suppose ;)

I was fine with that until I learned how it was now. :P I guess this is a use case I never had.
The possibility of showing the same folder on more than one workspace was a side effect of adding the single folder browsing to Tracker. But then several people using the spatial Tracker (I know of at least Ingo, Axel and myself) said a while back that this effect is actually quite useful. For example, I am using multiple workspaces for working on several Haiku components. I might be working on FFmpeg in one workspace and on the Installer in another workspace. In all workspaces, I can have the Haiku root source folder open, and somehow that is very convenient. I am all for improving the Tracker and making it more consistent in both modes, but this particular feature is not all that bad. It pretty much means that the workspace is a higher/more important spatial instance than Tracker windows. Which I wholeheartly agree with. If I am in some workspace and open a Tracker folder, I don't want it to silently close in another workspace. I also don't want to be suddenly switched to that other workspace where the window was already open, that would be irritating and annoying. I think the current solution "to be somewhat lax" is just fine for this particular problem. Ok, I can drag the same folder window from one workspace to another and then it's showing twice. I can live with that. Both folder are nicely in sync, there isn't a bug or other problem. I close the second instance and everything is fine.

Best regards,
-Stephan