[haiku] Re: Haiku installation

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Bruno Albuquerque<bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Really, I am a *HUGE* fan of spatial desktops and this is one of the
> big reasons for me to be a BeOS fan since I first saw it. I do
> understand that  people may not like it and I am fine with that but the
> solutions being presented are, from my point of view, just canibalizing
> Tracker and turning it into a even bigger mess than it already is. This
> looks like buying a car and deciding that we wanted a boat instead so
> now we are adding all these appendages to it but instead of hving a
> boat we still have a car that looks like a boat and that, when sent to
> water, has billions of roles eberywhere. Then we are using bubble-gum
> to fix those.

I agree that trying to make Tracker both a spatial desktop and a
single window file browser in the same codebase is a bad idea.

FWIW I have become more of a fan of a spatial desktop after reading an
old article on Ars Technica about improving the Mac OS X Finder. I
think we should consider some of the ideas in this article for the
future of Tracker, in particular pulling out the single window browser
aspect into another app (or into special Tracker windows that have the
browser behavior without affecting the rest of Tracker.) Here is the
enhancement I logged with a link to the article:

http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4381

--
Regards,
Ryan