[haiku] Re: Haiku installation

  • From: "Bruno Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:16:05

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:44:08 -0400, Ryan Leavengood said:

> > Yes. The spatial desktop concept (which Tracker was based around)
> > requires that no 2 windows represent the same folder. The desktop
> > is
> > always open as, well, your desktop. :)
>
> Except that right now it is possible to open two windows for the same
> folder in different workspaces. While I assume that is by design, I
> think it breaks the spatial concept a bit.

I just tried it and you are right. I don't remember this being possible
in BeOS and I have no idea why would someone implement this. So right
now we have a broken spatial desktop and a brolen non-spatial desktop.
Nice compromise. :(

Really, I am a *HUGE* fan of spatial desktops and this is one of the
big reasons for me to be a BeOS fan since I first saw it. I do
understand that  people may not like it and I am fine with that but the
solutions being presented are, from my point of view, just canibalizing
Tracker and turning it into a even bigger mess than it already is. This
looks like buying a car and deciding that we wanted a boat instead so
now we are adding all these appendages to it but instead of hving a
boat we still have a car that looks like a boat and that, when sent to
water, has billions of roles eberywhere. Then we are using bubble-gum
to fix those.

> Of course I'm not sure what the best solution would be to avoid that?

I think avoiding that is the correct thing to do. Or we can buy more
bubble-gum.

> Moving the window for that folder to the current workspace and
> removing it from the other? Or changing the workspace to where the
> folder is already open?

I think bringing the folder to the current desktop if you try to open
it again is a sensible choice.

> Or just leaving it as it is I suppose ;)

I was fine with that until I learned how it was now. :P I guess this is
a use case I never had.

-Bruno