[haiku] Re: Haiku installation

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 01:16:39 +0200 CEST

"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Jonas,
> Jonas Sundström wrote:
> <snip>
> > In a multiuser setup, which Desktop folder on
> > that other volume would you integrate?
> Multiuser scenarios that may come in the next year (or two
> or three, who knows) are interesting, but I think it would
> be better to ourselves more with not inconveniencing users
> today. :)

I don't pretend to know every BeOS/Haiku user out there
but I can't imagine removing desktop integration would
inconvenience a large number of people as long as desktops
folders are shown by default. Even if it would inconvenience
a few current BeOS users I think it's the right thing to do.

I'd rather have the problem removed than drag more people
into it. Integrating desktop folders is a bad design IMO,
meant to show the contents of these folders while keeping
them hidden.

It may have been chosen so as to not upset the user perception
of the desktop being some kind of root or solid foundation (as
seen in the default behaviour of Tracker and the file panels)
or maybe the GUI designers at Be simply didn't like a dual-
nature desktop, visible as both desktop and window.

(Granted, allowing multiple windows for a folder overall
does complicate things somewhat.)

> > There's just that issue with the attributes. What can
> > we do about that? Ignore the attributes of a desktop
> > folder and use a ~/config/settings/DefaultDesktopTemplate
> > when showing a Desktop-folder in a window?

I honestly think this is a decent solution. Special-casing
desktop-in-a-window without doing too much harm to the current
Tracker code and the poor dev's sanity who has to integrate
this new behaviour.

Either that or have Tracker's desktop code use a set of
attributes that does not overlap those of ordinary folder
windows. The desktop is a one-of-a-kind folder anyway.

It could have been a simple change if Tracker's code wasn't
such a puzzle.

> I am not aware of an attribute-related issue: what exactly
> happens if you were to show a Desktop folder now?

Tracker does a good job at suppressing the /boot/home/Desktop
but you can try a desktop folder off any other volume, e.g.
from Terminal:

$> open /SomeVolume/home/Desktop

You will get a fullscreen Tracker window, where the borders
are offscreen. You can use the resize-knob though. Not the
best user experience. (One of the few drawbacks of storing a
window's properties as attributes on the actual folder.)

/Jonas.